Thursday, March 10, 2011

What My Kids Will Read in Their History Books

(Freestyle enjambment inspired by Di Brandt)
What My Kids Will Read in Their History Books

I need a bumper sticker that says, “DRIVING WHILE BROWN”
& save my local law enforcers & tax dollars the time
& energy of discerning my worth of
whether or not I should be driving my tan (hopefully not too tan)
2001 Alero to pick up my sister Maria, who jokingly says she
will have to change her name when she turns 18 & cannot hide the
fear & confusion beneath thick lowered lashes, or behind her American History book
which makes me wonder
if I should think ahead & counter my irritating knack for losing & forgetting
things & visit my favorite tattoo artist
to ink my social security number on my arm
so they know what I am & forget who I am
because apparently those white stars next to those red stripes
turned piss yellow & we forgot the 12 years
worth of American History book lessons & lectures
funded by the people, for the people,
with liberty & justice
for all.


by:Jenica M. Corbett

2 comments:

  1. Jen, this is a really powerful poem. Your use of the "Driving while Brown" slogan to remind us of racial profiling and its effect on people contrasts well will the "American History" lessons funded by the people, for the people . . .

    Di Brandt's name has a "d" in it and Alero should be capitalized, since it's a brand name.

    This would be an excellent performance poem and I hope you will have occasion to read it here at GC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didn't see this poem when it first popped onto the blog feed but as soon as ann mentioned it in class i knew it was something i needed to go look for.
    such a straightforward message but phrased in such a lovely way --- you have a great control over this piece. you do not allow for your frustration to bubble over in a way that is melodramatic (which, considering how much time we spend with the slam poetry, is incredible).
    really lovely work, jen.

    ReplyDelete