Thursday, March 10, 2011

I Take Cream and Sugar in My Coffee

(Father and Mother poem)
I Take Cream and Sugar in My Coffee

Daddy gave me color,
a piece of his--
forgot the height,
gave sissy double,
tryin’ to make up the slight.

Momma shared her freckles,
a dustin' here, mark there,
makin’ sure I wasn’t bare.

Temper that tames,
Curls playin' games
above his smile,
won’t hide her guile.
Creamed egg shell
met June’s night
--some said a match made for Hell;
Presbyterian and Mennonite.

Dad and Mom used that heated fire,
for I am evidence
of their passionate desire
to take ax to picket fence.

by: Jenica M. Corbett

1 comment:

  1. Jen--I like the way this poem leads the reader with few words to the conclusion: You as evidence of their desire "to take ax(e) to picket fence."

    ReplyDelete