Monday, March 21, 2011

do i need?

do i need to
feel your arms tight around mine
to remember
that
i
am a woman?
more-over
the question--
do
i
want your calloused hands
to tell me
that
i
still have curves to keep
my thoughts
company--
that
i
still am capable
of screams & chills beneath
my blue'n black
blanket
worn supple from the heavy
onyx river stones
pulled out
of
your de-Nile
that
i
hauled to the sandbox
beneath the sickly maple
so
i
could build my castle
because
every castle needs
a wall

~Jenica M. Corbett

5 comments:

  1. Is this an original poem of yours? Very good! You should definitely keep writing poetry :) Your words and form combined create a powerful image and question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.
    I love the form-based theme of giving
    i
    its own line each time you use it.
    There's some pain in this poem: it's definitely a powerful piece, as Becca said, and I'm glad you feel comfortable enough to post it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent poem, Jen. I too was intrigued by the form. The in and out of it sort of rolled me forward as I read. I also found a bit of irony in your title. It's pretty clear that you know the answer to your question, "Do I need...," and so to ask that in the title, you're adding to the defiant nature of the poem. You're almost mocking or challenging someone who would think you aren't sure of yourself after reading the poem. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen you are such a good poet. I really enjoy your poetry. It's very raw and beautiful. I love how you give "i" it's own line every time (except in the first line) - you, standing alone. This is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete