Tuesday, March 8, 2011

eflections of 9/11 response poems


 
Espada's Alabanza provided me with a sense of connectedness between the past and present Latino world. I really like the reference to Roberto Clemente, who tried to aid the people of Nicaragua. This poem speaks of  culture born of a culture, within a city comprised of a multitude of cultures.
Zagajeweski's Try to Praise the Mutilated World is my favorite, because it's about hope. It acknowledges the fact that the world is damaged, yet reminds us to look and see how the world heals itself by just being...and through those personal moments that stay tucked away in our memories for us to pull out and unfold neatly for a moment of reflectve happiness...or praise.
Osman's Dropping Leaflets contained imagery that worked well with the overall theme. I enjoyed the comfortable flow of repetition and how that worked in sync with the vivid imagery.
The poem I chose from the Poets Against the War website is A Little Later, by: Behzad Zarrinpour. I did so, because of the reference of futility, lack of purpose, redundant and pointlessness, joined with no support of the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment